Liquid eyeliner can be a fussy little princess. Ultra-modern and very sexy, when liquid eyeliner is used right, it has the power to be daring and seductive. But one false move and liquid eyeliner will become your worst and messiest enemy. Bottom line is, liquid eyeliner is meant to impress, so if you’re into it – why not go all the way. We’re not intimidated. In fact, we’re jumping into liquid and squaring it off in this fashion week inspired runway look. Matched with a black leather jacket a chic ankle boot, this ATM spring eye make-up trend will look like a piece of cake in your capable hands. Yumm, cake.
A soft and clear complexion works best with this edgy trend
- Prep your face with your favourite moisturizer
- Even your skin tone with a small amount of foundation, and apply concealer under the eyes and a drop on each eye-lid for a smooth base
- Pat on skin until absorbed
Stay inside the lines
You’ve coloured inside the lines right? Well this is the same concept. Getting this right will make or break the squared off eye, so try a deep breath before taking the plunge.
- Apply two lines to the side of your eye-lid using a 3 dot eyeliner (or regular liquid eyeliner with a thick tip
- Start by framing the bottom of the square in a line from right to left. This outline should meet up exactly with your lower lash line.
- Next, mark the top of the square in a line from right to left that meets the top of your eye crease. The length of the line will depend on the shape of your eye, but remember to keep it short. You can build on it later if you need to.
- Close off the square with a North-South line that joins the two
- Colour in the square with black liquid eyeliner
Into the Shadow
- With your eyes closed, line your top lid in a thick line from the left to right
- Build your line higher and higher on the lid until it reaches a perfect diagonal line with the top of the outer square (from corner to edge to top of the square, it should look like an irregular triangle).
- Line your lower lashes
- Moving from left to right use a medium sized makeup brush to fill the upper eyelid with dark ‘Grey’ or ‘Bark’ coloured eye shadow.
Apply a thick coat of mascara to leave you with a total SFW version of the squared off eye. Adventurous spirits can take it to extremes by amping up the black in the next step.
- Grab your liquid eyeliner and become fearless
- Retrace all your steps with precision
- Re-square your edge to make sure it’s the proper height for your eye and is not rectangular
- Keep one eye closed at a time, while you paint liquid liner from lash line to crease
- Allow each eye to dry before trying the next step
On a Need to Know Basis
- Find a great 3-dot liquid eyeliner that works for you
- A regular one tip liquid eyeliner tool will beg for more precise drawing skills when it’s time to square off
- Apply three coats of mascara to heighten the drama.
Paired with a nude lip, the squared off eye is racy and jaw dropping. Wear it out for a night on the town and you’ll be gaining the attention advantage.